Wednesday 24 October 2018

Brexit: Highway to hell...


We are at the Brexit Schrodinger Point. We are ninety percent there, we are ninety-five percent there, we are zero percent there. It's all subjective. We are close to a fudge but none of us really knows what is in the box. The deal is both dead and alive. We won't know until we open the box.

Should there be a deal it will resemble nothing recognisable, rather it will be strands of protocols not easily classified as any of the known models. The Frankenstein deal serves one purpose and that is to buy both parties the transition time.

Here you could be forgiven for thinking that Theresa May is sodding around precisely so there won't be deal and the government is doing no planning of any kind because it knows that you can't plan for chaos. You can only really react to it as it unfolds. But then it could also be the case that there is a genuine attempt to square the circle.

At this point I don't really care just so long as we leave the EU. I should care. I really should care that no deal definitely will throw airlines and road freight into chaos. I should care about the far reaching consequences for British industry. I should care about all of the subjects touched upon by this blog. I should, but I don't.

A while before the referendum I realised that I would have to take the issues seriously and understand them in depth. No-one can say I didn't. It put me at odds with a great many leavers who didn't want hear it. There are certain realities of Brexit that the average leaver doesn't want to face up to and I can't be bothered to argue anymore.

Then when we see Dr David Shiels of Open Europe telling Parliament that no deal won't be a disaster I really do give up. It makes me want a no deal Brexit just to show these people how wrong they are. They have very deliberately used their position to exclude others from the debate putting them in pole position to influence politicians. It is right they carry the responsibility for their incompetence and dishonesty.

Then there's the ultra remainers. The closer we get to Brexit the more petty, petulant, spiteful, censorious and vindictive they become. They chastise leavers for not compromising when they've had top QCs toiling by candlelight in search of any technicality to overturn the 2016 vote and using their vast financial resources to that end. Even I underestimated how serious they are. They are fighting dirty.

As with the referendum it really comes down to which side I hate the least out of two equally detestable camps. I detest the crassness, stupidity and boorishness of the leave camp but for all the pretence of liberal polite society superiority, the ultra remainers are pack hunting bullies capable of some quite monstrous behaviour that has actually convinced me that this is a culture war - and one that goes far beyond Brexit. Like any civil war there can be no peace until one side decisively loses.

Here I find myself reverting to type. Putting aside the technical arguments I am still pretty much in the same camp as any Kipper. I hate the establishment for much the same reasons and I want to take my country back from the preening narcissistic virtue signallers who run it - whatever the cost.

Ultimately the ultra-remainers are the embodiment of the post-patriotic progressives - so wedded to the status quo they tell us that not only is Brexit undeliverable, but also that Britain is too weak and too feeble to make it in the world. They cannot win. They must not be allowed to win. We cannot be governed by people who neither like nor trust democracy, actively despise the British public and would gladly see us further subsumed into the EU morass. Leavers are fighting to leave the EU whereas remainers have declared war on leave voters.

I will go on making the case for EEA Efta because I still think it's the way to go even though it requires (in some areas) massive compromises, but ultimately I want to leave because I want to see a radically different Britain - and I think a number of festering issues will not be addressed unless we leave. If crashing out is what it takes then so be it.

So far as I see it leaving the EU is just a desirable thing. It's a complex and slow process but ultimately one that removes the EU technocracy as an authority over policy areas that should never have been outsourced. This whole argument, though, really has exposed the rot in Westminster so that leaving the EU is only a starter for ten. Brexit is the bull in the china shop we so badly need. It disrupts their normal patterns and it demands their full runtime. It should hopefully rob them of the means to meddle in that way that they do.

I look at the Labour party and see it utterly crippled by its own doctrinal degeneracy - where it is now a lunatic outfit - and I struggle to see the point of the Conservative party at all. Our politics is a walking corpse and in its current state is only ever going to make things worse. There is a massive gulf between the political apparatus and the British public - and the institutions as they stand, corrupted by the warped media culture, cannot possibly serve us. If things are to stay the same then everything must change.

Irrespective of Brexit I think the trajectory is toward an overall political collapse and anything that gives it a little shove is a most welcome development. What is going on politically transcends the concerns of car makers and airlines. There is an ugly undercurrent and it is likely to come to a head imminently. A tipping point has been reached - so if you're going to hell you might as well take the express way.

No comments:

Post a Comment