Thursday 22 October 2015

A fast track to international obscurity


I was just remarking the other day how little relevance the Guardian had to anything you might call grown up politics. The same can also be said of The Daily Telegraph. There was a time when I would buy the print version for the morning train ride to Harrogate, but even if smartphones had not been invented, I still wouldn't part with money for one. In fact, I was just offered a free copy at my local shop and declined the offer. They can't give it away. I can get Telegraph content for free by bypassing the view limit paywall and I still don't bother with it.

More than that, since I was persuaded a couple of years ago to take up Twitter, I have not looked back. Twitter serves as my new bulletin board where I learn of events about the same time they do, if not before, and have an array of good bloggers to consult for analysis. I'm not nearly as up to date on Middle East affairs as I would like to be, but I will go to Kyle Orton on Twitter before I consult any of the muppets like Con Coughlin at the Telegraph. Who needs them?

My morning internet routine now bypasses the "news" papers altogether now and the only site I really go directly to is Euractiv.com which seems to be the place to go for grown up relevant news these days. Ultimately, it's a question of news priorities. If you recognise that the EU is the supreme government of Europe then that is where our attention must go. Since this is an epiphany our local London based media has not yet had, there is no reason to include their witless musings in the online public debate.

You could point with neon signs to what is actually happening and still they continue to pontificate from their position of ignorance, untainted by news from the real world. We had Phillip Hammond, Foreign Secretary on Radio 4 admitting plain as day that any negotiated agreement for EU reform would come in the shape of a binding commitment to write such reforms into a future EU treaty - thus admitting there is in fact no renegotiation of existing treaties and no such negotiation presently underway. That will not stop either Radio 4 or the Telegraph pontificating on negotiations that exist only in their imaginations.

And then we have this report from Euractiv this morning, drawing our attention to a move by Juncker to create a single seat for the eurozone in the International Monetary Fund - a controversial idea that has been put aside for many years. I urge you to read the whole article and the notes beneath. That's what you call keeping people informed. What is not mentioned is that this move will likely coincide with the new EU treaty, to which Cameron's bogus "reforrms" will be appended.

This is very much the EU's modus operandi - salami slicing at the global presence of member states, and Eurozone membership is a fast track ticket to international oblivion. It seeks to speak on our behalf as the supreme government - and while it's the IMF this time around, how long before it makes a move on turning its observer status on other international bodies into a consolidated presence with its own vote?

You couldn't have any clearer indications as to what the future EU is going to look like and what its own ambitions are - and just how sealed Britain's fate is in all this unless we leave. Subjugated to the eurozone until such a time as we can be erased. One by one, the EU will assume supremacy over competences until Britain is voiceless on the global stage. Second tier in Europe, third rate in the world. Europhiles need to be clear on why this is a good thing for Britain. It escapes me completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment